Optimization of the warehouse through the installation of those references, which by their characteristics are optimal, in dynamic shelves

2018 edition

Joan Call Espinalt

Optimization of the warehouse through the installation of those references, which by their characteristics are optimal, in dynamic shelves.

Joan Call-Espinalt, Rosa Giralt Mas, Carla Vintró Sanchez

Technical College of Manresa

 

Summary

This poster explains how a change in how to store a part of the entire stock can affect the improvement of the entire store. Initially, the study focused on finding a standard that could be applied to all materials that pass through the store, but the great diversity among all the references, in sizes, as well as in pesos, as well as in costs, as in consumption made this goal unfeasible. Therefore, what could be useful for some references did not work for others, so we looked for the point where we could have a bigger and more significant improvement. The references that could be contained in boxes of standardized sizes and that had a consumption, in the number of boxes, neither very low nor very high, would be stored in dynamic shelves. This work justifies this change, the improvement achieved and the savings achieved.

All the pieces we use to assemble the machines that we manufacture it have been classified within what we call policy. Basically, there are three different policies: planned or PLA, Kanban or KAN, and ‘Pucherazo’ or PUC. The first ones are used in assembly lines associated with a machine order of manufacture. The second ones are used in the dynamic shelves of assembly lines in boxes. There are always two boxes at least. As for the PUC, they have the same operation as the KAN but they are usually very small pieces such as screws.

The stock of this type of reference is located in a zone of warehouse named ‘The Kanban’s Lung’, but, in this zone, only fits 30% of all the Kanban stock. The remaining 70% must be stored in another warehouse in chaotic locations.

Thus, the process of preparation of the Kanban is very laborious and complicated. Complicated also because the references of Kanban do not have a fixed location in which to look for them if not that they can be in any location of the warehouse. This, in addition to increasing the displacements and the times dedicated in searching for each one of the references, causes multiple repetitive movements in the same areas.